I just finished reading a great book by Lori Nelson Spielman called The Life List. Briefly, it is about a 34 year old girl named Brett who just lost her mother to cancer. When her family goes to their attorney to claim their inheritance their mother left, Brett discovers that her mother saved a “life list” of goals that Brett created when she was 14 years old. To Brett, this list has nothing to due with her present life, yet in order for Brett to claim her inheritance (which is like, MILLIONS!), Brett must complete the list. The story continues with Brett going on this journey of finding herself and becoming a beautiful, thoughtful woman. Such a great story!
This book has inspired me to think about the things that I want for my future and the goals I hope to achieve in my lifetime. Though I have never thought of myself as someone with one certain passion or one certain thing I HAVE to do before I die, here is a list of some things I would like to accomplish (we’ll see if I still want these goals when I’m 34 yrs. old, like Brett haha). To some, they may not be a lot. I don’t want to be a millionaire, or travel the world, or have fancy cars. I really just want to be happy. And if I don’t obtain these goals, that’s okay. As long as I am happy with the life I lead, I will be perfectly content. :)
Lindsey’s Life List
1. Get married
2. Have a family
3. Have a cottage-style house that is really cozy and “home-y”
4. Be great friends with my neighbors
5. Take my Mom to Italy like she’s always wanted.
6. Adopt a cute little dog from a shelter
7. Have a job/career that I really love
8. Visit Alaska!
9. Have quality, life-long friends that live close by
10. Own a boutique, or have something I create be sold in a boutique
11. Ride horses again, at least a few times
12. Visit Seattle and Rattlesnake Ledge (take a gorgeous, romantic photo!)
13. Learn how to cook, and not just crockpot :)
14. Give a substantial amount of money or time to someone in need
15. Take a dance class!
16. Visit the set of Friends
17. Love and appreciate the life I have, even if my list isn’t fulfilled or things change along the way.
While only taking about a half hour to write this post and think about my life list, this is what I came up with. Who knows what I’ll think of within the next hour, day, week, month, year… But as of right now, these are the thoughts that came to my head. The most important things I have always wanted are there. Now, let’s see how my journey plays out. :)